Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sophie might give up on music if this album doesn't do well

This is such a bad day, for two reasons. After spending 4 weeks in the #1 spot, Sophie is down to #2 on MTV Dance. Guys, please vote, vote everyday. Here's the link - http://www.mtv.co.uk/channels/mtv-dance/chart

I'm kinda scared after reading Digital Spy's new post. I'm actually very scared. The one person who defines good music to me is Sophie. If she gave up on music, then i'm more than 100% sure that i'm never going to bother about anything music-related. I just hope she was joking when she said that. I want Sophie to make music for the next 50 years....

ORIGINAL ARTICLE: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a216762/sophie-e-b-my-sound-is-most-popular.html
Sophie Ellis-Bextor has suggested that she would give up on music if her new material is not successful because her sound is at the height of its popularity.
The singer, who is gearing up for the release of her new album Straight To The Heart, said that her disco sound is musically on-trend, using Bloc Party and Snow Patrol's recent output as an example.
She told the Daily Star: "There's a been a resurgence in the power of DJ. You only have to look at the fact that Bloc Party and Snow Patrol's last singles had a trance edge."
"This is the longest gap I've ever had between records, but if I can't make it work in this climate I should give up because everything is '80s, a bit electro synthy and disco. That's exactly what I've been doing, but the new songs are a bit harder. It's the best stuff I've done. So let's have a go."

I have made up my mind. I'm buying the album in triplicate. Please support Sophie. Buy her music. Even if you're a casual fan who knows her just for Murder On The Dancefloor buy her music.

6 comments:

Eden said...

Well I dont think there's a reason to panick. I think she just said it as wondering what's wrong with the sales if this album flops again!
Besides, she was already thinking in an interview about the sound of her future music (using some guitars and working with the likes of King of Leons...). So I am not sure she meant to quit music.
BUT!!!!! if she wants to do something about her career, well let her change her management or marketing team or label or whomever is responsible for her distribution!!!
Pure Business & Marketing Logic: if you have a good product but not selling much, what could be the reason?! not enough marketing and promotion!!!
When she has worked with top producers and we already heard some full songs of the album and clips for othes, and they all sound amazing, what should the album flop if it is well advertised???? but so far, i dont see no good advertisement whatsover!!! all the efforts she's doing are limited in UK and not in other countries!! So let's face it, it does not need a genius to figure out how to make it work!

Fran said...

Ooooh no!! That's such terrible, terrible news!! :-( Hope she doesn't do a Lisa Scott-Lee, cos' that would be really sad. Don't give up, Sophie!! You're the best!!

Mr. Ect said...

Well, as long as the album debuts in the Top 10 I don't think you need to worry. However, even that is proving a bit difficult in today's climate. I'm quite afraid of her charting potential, returning artists haven't been doing too great on the charts lately.

For example Brit-winner Kate Nash. Her amazing first album went double platinum and won her a Brit, but her second album only charted at #8 (despite over 20k sales)! I hope Sophie's week is a relatively weak one.

Makke said...

Let's not panic too much shall we? I'm sure Sophie has learnt from her last 2 albums and their sales that getting pregnant and ditching active promotion does not compute with doing well in the charts. :D

And, we've already seen her promoting the album in many different types of media (radio, tv and magazine appearances), so I think if she keeps up the pace she'll surely get a good lot of people interested in 'Straight to the Heart'. =)

However, there IS that lack of international marketing (France seems to be the only market being a bit more informed thanks to Junior Caldera) problem I hope her management is going to do something about. Though now as Sophie is full of energy and ready to unleash her new material, I'm sure there's gonna be a lot more promotion, atleast when compared to SftH or TtLF. =]

Fran said...

IMO Sophie should leave Fascination/Polydor & create her own label, like Mel C did. That would be really amazing for her, cos' she would take control on what she really wanna do, & what she wanna release as single material, etc.

Mathew said...

I didn't get any indication from the Digital Spy article, that Sophie would seriously leave the music industry if the album doesn't do well.

If it doesn't, she should probably start looking into a record company that is willing to promote her properly and get her music everywhere. I don't see why Sophie shouldn't be more successful than she is, she hardly makes music that isn't radio friendly or anything.

Followers

ABOUT | CONTACT ME

Welcome! SOPHIERAZZI is a website dedicated Sophie Ellis-Bextor. Here, you will find first hand information, access to several rarities and exclusive inside details unavailable elsewhere. This is your heaven... Feel free EMAIL ME, if you have some exciting news to share, if you want to update me about something, or if you need some clarification regarding any post. I promise to respond to your email at the earliest...
Cheers, Kaushik. (sophierazzi@yahoo.com)