Friday, September 7, 2012

Interview: Sophie in Gulfnews

ORIGINAL ARTICLE - Gulfnews.com


The indie scene’s answer to a pop star, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, finally made it to Dubai for a performance after a couple of cancelled gigs. The “If This Ain’t Love” singer chatted ahead of her Alchemy Project show at Movida on Friday.

Q: We’ve been waiting for you to come to Dubai for a long time.
A; I came for the first time last year and really enjoyed myself. It’s a beautiful place with incredible architecture everywhere. There was a lot to see and do and I’m happy to be back.

Q: Will you be spending anytime here with your family?
A: I’m bringing my new baby, Ray, with me, and my husband came last year.

Q: You’re back performing again not long after delivering your third child. How has having children changed your work as a musician and performer?
A: I’ve been a working mother for the majority of my career now so hard to remember life before, but essentially I’m more focused when I work as if I spend time away from my children, it better be worthwhile.

Q: Do you write or sing songs for your sons?
A: All the time, mostly daft silly things. Mind you, my dad did the same when I was little so I don’t think it’s my day job that’s led me to that.

Q: What are you working on at the moment — any new album coming?
A: Yes I’m back in the studio and feeling very positive and inspired. Hope to get new songs out there asap.

Q: You played a few festivals this summer. Any favourites, good or bad experiences? Which other acts did you enjoy watching while at the festivals, if any?
A: I’ve been lucky as all the festivals I’ve been to have had good weather, believe me, it makes all the difference! I loved Friendly Fires and Basement Jaxx.

Q: You’ve got a fun sense of style. Where do you like to shop?
A: Anywhere, I love a bargain and I love vintage so a good rummage in a market makes me happy.

Q: Your family’s restaurant is undergoing some changes. Do you have any involvement with it? Do you like to eat out or do you cook at home at all?
A: No involvement other than eating there whenever I can, it’s delicious. My dad has decided to sell the business as though he’s made a success of it, it’s very demanding and takes up a lot of his time when he has other work too. It’ll be sad when it’s gone but less stressful for my dad so I understand.

Q: You retweeted Lauren Laverne’s “free Pussy Riot” tweet. Tell us why you think the group should be freed.
A: Because they held a peaceful protest to articulate how they felt about the state of their country’s politics, everyone has the right to that.

No comments:

Followers

ABOUT | CONTACT ME

Welcome! SOPHIERAZZI is a website dedicated Sophie Ellis-Bextor. Here, you will find first hand information, access to several rarities and exclusive inside details unavailable elsewhere. This is your heaven... Feel free EMAIL ME, if you have some exciting news to share, if you want to update me about something, or if you need some clarification regarding any post. I promise to respond to your email at the earliest...
Cheers, Kaushik. (sophierazzi@yahoo.com)